Applications to volunteer at Bluesfest 2014 are now closed.
The only volunteering positions left are pre-festival & post-festival scaffolding construction & deconstruction. This is hard, hot & dirty work suited to those experienced in construction, are physically fit and like hard yakka. Fri 11th-Wed 16th April & Tues 22nd-Wed 23rd April). Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if this suits you (conditions apply).
Since opening in November last year we have filled over 700 volunteering positions.
Thank you to all those who have applied and have had their volunteering position confirmed and also to those who have expressed interest but have unfortunately missed out.
All our effort now turns to the festival and organising our volunteer teams and rosters so we will not be processing/requiring/accepting any more expressions of interest to volunteer at Bluesfest 2014, including at the festival.
If you are unable to volunteer then please let us know within a respectable time prior to the festival (by the end of March) so that we can back-fill your position.
(Simply e-mail email@example.com)
We are unable to ‘substitute’ people/friends into an accepted position. Applications already received (but not yet successful) will be used to fill any vacancies that arise in the weeks prior to the festival.
Applications to volunteer at Bluesfest 2015 will open in November 2015. Get your application in early!
For those who have had their volunteering position at Bluesfest 2014 confirmed, below is some useful information.
DURING-FESTIVAL / PRE-FESTIVAL / POST-FESTIVAL VOLUNTEERING:
DURING FESTIVAL VOLUNTEERING:
- You must have received a confirmation of your volunteering position from the Bluesfest Volunteering Department to volunteer during Bluesfest 2014 (no confirmation... no work)
- You must be on site on Thursday 17th April 2014, 1 hour before your first shift & ready to work. You will be notified of your start time (in April) which will be a time between 9am & 8pm. (Live music starts at 4pm so don’t think you’ll miss out!)
- An e-mail with ‘all you need to know’ will be sent to you in April (who will be your ‘team assistant’ (primary contact), what to bring, where to go, when etc.).
- It is important that you read and follow our instructions so that the process runs smoothly.
Noting, at a minimum, to sign on/register you’ll need;
- Closed in shoes (no shoes... no work... no volunteering)
- Current photo identification and a valid credit card (for your Bond)
- To have pre-read, understand and sign the Bluesfest Operational Health & Safety policy (this will be provided to you via e-mail prior to the festival)
- You’ll work one 5 hours shift on each day of the 5 days of the festival (25 hours total) which will alternate between morning (10am-3pm), afternoon (2.30pm-7:30pm) & night (7pm-12pm) shifts. You will be allocated your roster preference and or the same shift times/team as people/applications you have ‘linked’ with where possible.
- Your last shift will be on Monday 21st April 2013.
Please note that ‘during festival’ volunteers are not provided meals and the 5 hour shift is continuous (no breaks during shifts)
PRE-FESTIVAL & POST-FESTIVAL VOLUNTEERING:
- You must have your volunteering position and roster assigned from the Bluesfest Volunteering Department to volunteer pre- and/or post- Bluesfest 2014
- You will be notified of your work roster in March (and possibly April). Your 25 hour work roster will fall between Tuesday 8th April 2013 and Thursday 17th April 2013 inclusive (PRE-FESTIVAL) and Tuesday April 22nd / Wednesday April 23rd (POST-FESTIVAL). The majority of pre-festival shifts will be between Sat 12th April – Wed 16th April.
- You must have your own transportation, your own accommodation offsite, work 25 hours pre-/post-festival and be flexible with work times & days
To sign on you’ll need;
Closed in shoes (no shoes... no work... no volunteering)
Current photo identification
To have pre-read, understand and sign the Bluesfest Operational Health & Safety policy (this will be provided to you via e-mail prior to the festival)
NOTE: Pre-/Post- Festival work is long hours and hard physical work!
DURING FESTIVAL VOLUNTEERING: Volunteer camping has now sold out.
Volunteers are able to camp on site for a reduced rate of $155 (volunteer’s camping), however places are limited and no vehicles are allowed.
The alternative is to purchase a standard Bluesfest camping ticket. There is no free camping.
To purchase a camping ticket;
- You must have accepted your invitation to volunteer at Bluesfest AND received a confirmation e-mail from the Volunteering Department before you can purchase a volunteer camping ticket.
- Become member on the Bluesfest website (http://www.bluesfest.com.au/MembersArea/members/default.aspx)
- Call administration to purchase a volunteering camping ticket. Call: (02) 6685-8310
Volunteer camping arrival is Thursday morning, 17th April (There is no point planning to arrive earlier (eg. Wednesday) as nothing is open, facilities may not be connected, set up is hindered)
PRE-FESTIVAL VOLUNTEERING: There is no camping pre-festival. You must have your own accommodation offsite (living local preferred).
LOCATION & TRANSPORT:
Bluesfest is held on Tyagarah Tea tree Farm, located 9km north of Byron Bay township.
Volunteers are required to make their own way to the festival site via their own transport, car pooling and/or public transport. Parking is free however can be some distance from the festival site and hence adequate time should be allowed to ensure a relaxed journey and to be on-site on-time.
During the festival (only) frequent shuttle bus services to and from the festival are run to various local centres (Byron Bay, Mullumbimby, Brunswick Heads, Bangalow and Ballina) for a fee.
Volunteers get to work in a fantastic team of over 600 volunteers and contribute to the operations of Australia’s premier music event. Volunteers gain valuable experience in a number of different operational roles across the festival which is recognised by a Bluesfest Volunteering certificate that can be used as a reference to seek other work in the industry. When not on shift Volunteers get to access the festival and enjoy an enviable list of international & local live music acts as well as all the other fantastic experiences the festival has to offer. Volunteers are given a souvenir water bottle at their first shift to use during the festival and receive a Bluesfest T-shirt after completing their 25 hours of volunteer work. All volunteers are part of a team of up to 40 people and is assigned a volunteer team leader/assistant who is responsible for signing you on & off shift, getting you to and from your work site and helping you through the process. Volunteers are able to camp on site for a reduced rate of $155. Volunteers undertaking activities approved by Bluesfest 2014 are covered under the festival’s personal accident insurance policy.
Volunteers are required to commit to a $100 bond at first sign on in the form of a manual credit card swipe.
The bond will only be charged in the event of misconduct and you are removed from the volunteer team.
A bond commitment from volunteers helps to ensure we have a secure and honest volunteer team to help run the event and minimises disruptions for all.
- Turning up 20 - 30 mins before your shift starts, with presence & patience during team sign-on
- Being prepared for your shift when signing on (wearing closed shoes, fed/hydrated, post bathroom/toilet)
- Signing on for your shift at the correct rostered time with your nominated team leader
- Fulfilling your duties in the role you have been assigned too, staying at your post at all times during your shift and/or following provided instructions
- Signing off at the end of your 5 hour shift without delay with your assigned team leader (not before or sometime after)
- Always adhering to Bluesfest volunteering process, conditions, Operational Health & Safety policy and the law
- Having fun, interacting & enjoying the festival!
As volunteers work together as a team and are experienced, misconduct is rare and easily identified. In a nut shell, if volunteering at Bluesfest doesn’t sound good to you we recommend you simply purchase a ticket and have a great time!
If you are unable to volunteer then please let us know within a respectable time prior to the festival (end of March) so that we can back-fill your position. Simply e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Unreasonable last minute cancellations and/or not showing after accepting a volunteering position may hinder prospects of volunteering in future years.
Our primary communication to volunteers is via e-mail.
An e-mail with ‘all you need to know’ will be sent to you in April (who will be your ‘team assistant’ (primary contact), what to bring, where to go, when etc.) so keep an eye out!
Register for 2014 Tickets
By signing up to our members area you will receive exclusive access to special ticket offers and general updates direct to your inbox about all the latest Bluesfest news.
Boomerang Festival Early Bird Tickets are available NOW.
4th- 6th of October 2014, held at Bluesfest’s home, the Tyagarah Tea Tree Farm.
Byron Bay Accommodation
If camping is not the thing for you but you would like to stay in the area then please check out Byron Bay Accom on www.byronbayaccom.net or call 02 6680 8666.