Social Responsibility & Charities
Bluesfest is respected for creating ongoing employment and contracts for individuals and small businesses in Byron Bay and the Northern Rivers; a small regional part of Australia with limited employment opportunities.
It contributes over $20 million to the Northern Rivers region and $40 million to the NSW economy annually, and has provided countless opportunities for local musicians, artists and business people through performance platforms, stalls, and networks.
49% of Bluesfest patrons visit from outside NSW. Bluesfest is a destination event, and is responsible for significant injections into NSW and Byron Shire tourism economies and brand awareness.
Bluesfest stimulates local tourism and hospitality industries in great numbers. Many Byron Bay business owners have attributed Bluesfest for their busiest week all year, including Christmas.
WE CARE about the community, wildlife, and the environment. We facilitate fundraising for local charities, run progressive sustainability and recycling policies and work with local foundations on the protection and care for koalas & bees on the festival site.
We are immensely proud of the contribution we’ve been able to make in the local and international community. One of our major charity fundraising over the past sixteen years has been the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and through guitar raffles at the festival, kindly donated by Gibson Guitars and signed by artists performing, are proud to have raised over $475,000.00 to date. Bluesfest is now the highest annual fundraising contributer for Cystic Fibrosis in Australia.
In 2013, 44 Orangutan Adoptions were locked in at Bluesfest - The Orangutan Project's largest response at an event ever!
In 2015, the 10 charity stalls at Bluesfest raised a record breaking $125,000. The Playing For Change Foundation returned to Bluesfest 2015 for the second time in a row and raised upwards of $40,000 enabling the Foundation to build music schools in Thailand and now Bali under the direction of Bluesfest Director, Peter Noble, who is an ambassador for Playing For Change.
We also support:
Some of our other achievements and milestones include:
- We have had fundraising concerts and given a portion of the profit to groups such as Jarjum Playground, Nelson Mandela’s 4664 Foundation, and victims of the Boxing Day Tsunami in Sri Lanka.
- Our fundraising for Tsunami victims raised over $130,000
- We have provided emergency tent covers in the first instance for victims as well as building 22 houses in Sri Lanka, in conjunction with The Beach Hotel, Byron Bay
- We have provided the Byron Bay Surf Club with an ongoing commitment to pay for the Emergency Beach Rescue Vehicle which we replace every four years
- We raised approximately $20,000 over three years for Byron Bay Youth Service
- Raised over $8,000 over four years for Byron Bay Hospital Pink Ladies
- Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter raised over $3,000 and Starlight Foundation raised in 2007 over $2,500.
- Continual involvement with Thai Orphanage, Yaowawit in Kampong, and African Leaf in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Raised over $1 million in ground rentals for the Byron Bay Rugby League Club
- Local schools, St. Finbarrs Catholic School and Byron Bay High School, raised approximately $300,000 and $450,000 respectively in the last eleven years through event car parking. The Performance Arts Centre at Byron Bay High School was greatly funded in this manner.
Bluesfest Team with The Uncle Project
Past Years Charities
Cystic Fibrosis 2017 Raffle
Bluesfest’s major charity Cystic Fibrosis will be conducting their annual Gibson Guitar Raffle. Again 3 Gibson Les Paul Electric guitar prize will be on offer, with the Guitars to be signed by many of the major performing artists at this years Festival.
Cystic Fibrosis raised $51,000 throughout the duration of the festival through their guitar raffles of donated Gibson guitars bringing their total raised at Bluesfest over the last 17 years to an impressive $475,000.
Your contribution is bringing a better quality of life to all Cystic Fibrosis sufferers and furthering vital scientific and medical research to bring about a CURE sooner.